Friday, November 2, 2012

Illustrate Your Illustrations

I was an art major my first year of college at St. Edward's University, and I learned two important things about myself. 1) I was in the wrong major, and 2) I was at the wrong school. I can admit to myself when I make a mistake, even one as big as choosing the wrong college, but I've never been the kind of person to just suck it up and deal with the consequences. So I did something about it. I switched schools, and I switched majors. In the midst of this stressful process, I learned the hard way that things don't always go as planned the first time around. I picked the wrong university at first, I wasn't admitted to the college of communication til my second time applying, and I also wasn't accepted to the Texas Creative sequence til my second attempt at nailing the application. In the midst of all this stress, I knew I had to learn quickly how to adapt my art skills to the type of creativity valued in the advertising industry. I immediately became familiar with photoshop in preparation, and I luckily caught on quickly to the way it works. Illustrator took a little more time getting used to, but I gave myself a project over the summer to familiarize myself with the program.

As I said in my previous post, Dalek inspired me to create a geometric piece of my own, which I am staring at as I write this post ( I keep it hung above my desk to motivate me and remind myself how far I've come). I decided that since this one piece marked my versatility in my art, it was only appropriate that I attempt to recreate it on illustrator as a sort of symbol of my ability to evolve my skill to mediums other than paper and canvases. Here is the final result:

Practice, practice, practice is the only way to familiarize yourself with a program as complex as Illustrator, and nothing is as rewarding as not only learning the ropes of it, but doing so by digitally rendering something you created yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment