Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Mind-blown (glass)

"The Sun" by Dale Chihuly
Over thanksgiving break, I stayed in Dallas with some family. My aunt took me to the Arboretum to see a blown glass exhibit by Dale Chihuly. (If you've never heard of him, he's responsible for the masterpiece on the roof of the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas.) The sculptures exhibited at the arboretum were so incredible that I couldn't not blog about it. There were fifteen different pieces to the exhibit, but the one that stood out to me the most is called "The Sun" (see photo above) and it was truly mind blowing, though the entire collection of pieces was gorgeous. Chihuly's Sun piece had all these different glass pieces spiraling out from the center in varying shades of yellow and red, and was arranged above a bed of yellow flowers, which complemented the sculpture perfectly. We went to the exhibit during the day, so the piece looked bright and fun, but I'm told it's a whole other experience to pay a visit at night, where the works are illuminated dramatically. I really wish I had gotten a chance to go see it at night just to see how differently it all looked, but I'm really glad that I got to go at all. I definitely would recommend anyone in Dallas right now to go visit the Arboretum before November 5, when the exhibit ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment