Friday, November 2, 2012

My Art Evolution + Dalek

I only very recently became familiar with Adobe photoshop and illustrator, but I've been creating art my whole life. It's weird to look back and see how far I've come, from my crayon Shamu drawings (which were impressive considering I  was only five at the time) to my portrait drawings from those middle school glory days, to the time I dropped the pencil and picked up the paintbrush in high school. And now most of the art I create is all done on the computer. I noticed a pattern because as my art mediums changed, so did my subjects. The things I created became more and more modern as time went on, a trend most prevalent in comparing my portrait drawings to what I do now. I draw inspiration from all sorts of sources, and one that I feel had a huge impact in my art is the work of James Marshall, better know as Dalek.
The first Dalek piece that ever caught my eye.
I discovered Dalek's art completely by accident years ago, but I'm so glad I did. His work is colorful, geometric, and extremely precise. At the time of my discovery, none of my works could ever be described as any of those things, but I was so intrigued by his creations that I stepped outside my comfort zone and attempted to make something in a similar style. Dalek definitely helped me evolve as an artist/ designer and I would be lying if I said his work doesn't continue to influence me in everything I make to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment