Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Bing vs. Dictionary vs. Me


The biggest challenge any advertiser faces is determining how to get a specific group to interact with them.  The catch is that said group often has a mental list of about seventeen things they would rather do than look at an ad. Their reluctance is not lost on the advertisers, who then strategize sneaky ways to make ignoring them impossible. For example, I just tried looking up the word “urethra” on dictionary.com (I’m in a Human Sexuality class, don’t judge me), and instead of a definition, I got a pop-up for Bing. Excuse me while I retract my list of seventeen things that are more preferable to an ad that so rudely interrupted my studying (actually learning what a urethra is tops off my list, followed by sixteen other priorities that are equally pressing). I exited the ad and re-clicked the ‘define’ button, but there it was again, shamelessly splayed across my screen, waiting for me to make my move. This is how I learned Bing is the most persistent search engine I’ve ever had the displeasure of accidentally encountering. I realize now that they were hoping to force me into shifting my search to them by making it impossible to access what I was using before. Clever move, Bing, but even if I wasn’t mad at you for making dictionary.com utterly useless, I still wouldn’t use you. I don’t know what kinds of things pop up when you look up 'urethra' in a search engine, but I do know I had to stop reading my textbook because of the images I uncomfortably stumbled across, and I can infer the Internet is much less modest than the textbook I'm currently afraid to reopen. However, something tells me the typical dictionary.com user is a little more mature than I am and is most likely looking up terms that have little or nothing to do with male and female sex organs. From the perspective of this wiser but less exciting version of me, I can easily see how Bing’s ad placement has the potential to increase awareness about the search engine. On an unrelated note, I still don’t know what a urethra is.



No comments:

Post a Comment