Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I was lost til LostType

Have you ever experienced something that just completely changed your life? Whether it was a certain song you heard, a piece of art you saw, a certain food you tried....you get the idea. I recently had a discovery that was almost as enlightening as the first time I heard The Shins way back in the day, and I just can't wait to gush about it.
For someone who lives for art and anything visual, I am really terrible with fonts. It's ironic because I'm hoping to be an art director, yet I always feel like my writing is always infinitely better than the font I put it in. I usually just stick with Century Gothic because it's all but identical to my own handwriting, which people tell me is perfection. My days of sticking with the same font over and over came to an end very recently when I discovered a little website known by the name of losttype.com. For starters, they have this snazzy logo that just reels you in. But wait, it gets better! The browse button takes you to a small collection of some of the most amazing fonts I've ever laid eyes on. I've been experimenting a lot lately with typography to try and improve my font expertise, and I would be lying if I said 100% of the fonts I've been working with didn't come from this website. It definitely makes my life slightly easier as an art director because even though I'm still not-so-great with choosing fonts, I know anything I pick from this website is going to have a lot of potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment