Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Your eyes aren't bigger than your fro-yo

I've been a loyal self-serve frozen yogurt customer ever since the day they started popping up all over Austin, which is why I'm not sure how the revelation I had at Red Mango today only just occurred to me. Am I the only one who is barely noticing how freakishly large these serving bowls are? Incidentally, I want to point out that I realize this might be my first non-advertising or art-related blog, but I'm just so dumbfounded that I can't not write about this right now.
You should probably know that when it comes to things that are blatantly obvious to most people, they usually aren't to me. Anyone who knows me pretty well understands that I tend to be a little slow on the uptake, but even this is crossing a line. I don't think you realize how often I consume frozen yogurt, but just to be clear, it's often. This should give you an idea: yesterday my sister and I were arguing about where to eat dinner, and she shot down my Mandola's suggestion because "we just had Italian last night." I responded by reminding her that we just got fro-yo a couple hours ago, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna wait two weeks before I have it again. In fact, I probably wouldn't wait two days (I didn't, by the way).
If you think about it, it's actually really smart of them to only offer serving size options of huge and huger. It makes people feel like they need to fill up and they end up spending more money. It's a good strategy, and now that I've been exposed to it, I can attest that not only does it work, but it works well. I could consider my fro-yo servings to be closer to the size of a meal than a snack, albeit an unhealthy one once I pile on the chocolate sprinkles and brownie bites. I suppose this is one way that bigger is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment