Monday, April 15, 2013

Print Magazine

When I was at my internship a few days ago, I had caught up on all my work so I was scrolling through the design section of Pinterest, hoping to find some stylistic inspiration for my current campaign. My boss came in the room while I was mulling over an intricate typography piece and told me she had something that might help inspire me. She left the room and came back about a minute later with a huge stack of magazines. It turns out she has quite the collection print and design magazines, and she encouraged me to look through them and take some home. Most of my inspiration searching tends to take place on the web, but I decided this was an opportunity to immerse myself in something new, so I took her up on the offer.

If you’ve never heard of Print magazine before, that’s okay because neither had I until now. It’s a bi-monthly magazine that showcases print design from every angle imaginable. I spent the rest of my shift (a good 2 hours or so) flipping through the pile and allowing myself to get lost in each issue. It’s funny how different the experience is when you see something creative or visually pleasing on a computer screen, as opposed to having it right in front of you. Those two hours I spent flipping through page after page of brilliant design work made me realize that the Internet is simply not enough to get fully immersed in creativity. There’s so much out there in the world that you can’t find online, and it’s all worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment