Sunday, October 27, 2013

Are we ever satisfied?

In my ICM class on Monday, my professor was speaking on the topic of creative strategies. Since this is now my third semester in the sequence, most of what she talked about was redundant of the lectures I've countlessly recieved in my portfolio classes, but there was one thing she said that I found particularly interesting- "creatives are never satisfied with their own work."
I can't speak on behalf of all the other creatives I know, but from my own experience there is definitely a lot of truth to this. After I finish executing an art direction for one of my campaigns, I'll find myself staring at the computer screen for about twenty minutes trying to find something else to fix. Eventually I send pictures to my campaign partner and am only satisfied after getting their approval.
I could go on and on listing all the experiences I've had where this statement applies, both in and out of the creative sequence. I believe this statement could easily apply to anyone, not just creatives. Your biggest critic is always yourself. I've been trying my best to get out of this mindset so as not to feel discouraged when I'm not completely happy with the way something turns out, and that's why I love being in the creative sequence so much- even when I feel discouraged or not certain whether what I art directed works well with the campaign, I have a room full of peers in the same position and we are all willing to help each other out.

No comments:

Post a Comment