Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Thoughts on Twitter

I go back and forth on how I feel about Twitter. Right now I'm on a Twitter hate spree that can be easily attributed to my aversion to people who don't know how to use it. I consider myself a twitter snob, and the second someone #hashtagswholephrasesjustforthesakeofhashtagging they are immediately unfollowed. I used to use twitter to follow some of the celebrities I am a fan of, but that was before posting selfies every hour on the hour became socially acceptable. Now I follow my friends that understand hashtag etiquette, bands/musicians so I can see if they'll ever be performing in the Austin area, and the few actors that can formulate something interesting into 140 characters without a close-up photo of them making some goofy looking face.
It really, really bothers me when people incorrectly use social media, and I feel like this occurs mostly on twitter. Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake's hashtag video  that went viral touches on this, but rather than getting people to stop hashtagging #every #word #they #write, the video had the opposite effect and encouraged them to do so even more. MAKE IT STOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment