Thursday, October 24, 2013

Trial and Error

When it comes to art directing campaigns, it's inevitable that you'll learn the hard way how to go about it. Being in the creative sequence, I've done my best to make sure each campaign I art direct has a different and unique style from anything else I've done, which usually means I'm teaching myself something new on photoshop or illustrator every time I start a new campaign. The hard thing about this is sometimes I'll have a vision in my head of how something should look but no idea how to go about it.
The best example I can think of is the Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm campaign I recently art directed for P3 Midterm Critique. My partner David Bassine and I wanted the art to slightly resemble illustrations in storybooks (think Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol). I spent hours upon hours asking other art directors for suggestions and googling everything from "storybook illustrations photoshop tutorial"to "line art tutorial" before I accepted that there wasn't anything out there that could help me create the art exactly how I saw it in my head. In the end, I used bits and pieces of each of these tutorials to get the illustrations to look just the way I wanted. After that, the rest of the prints came together easily.
Basically, the point of this story is that no matter how long it takes to figure out the art direction, power through. Once you figure out the first one, the rest are easy because you have the strategy down. The final result of our Burt's Bees campaign we can be found by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment